top of page

Frequently Asked Questions


Self-Guided Hunts


  • Q: When are the new Hunting Regulations & Self –Guided Elk Hunt                        Application available?

     A: The beginning of July of each year.

  • Q: When is the draw application deadline for the Self- Guided Elk hunts?

     A: Late August.

  • Q: Can multiple people apply for a Self-Guided Elk hunt on the same                 application?

     A: No. Only one person may apply per application.

  • Q: Am I supposed to include the full tag payment when applying for a Self-          Guided Elk hunt?

    A: No. You only need to include the Application Fee(s). Full payment is due               upon successful draw.

  • Q: Is there a Hunter Education Requirement?

     A: Yes. All nonmember big-game hunt applicants born after December 31,              1960, must present a certificate or other proof of successful completion of          an approved Hunter Education Course at the time of application.

  • Q: Are crossbows legal for the Self-Guided Archery Elk hunts?

      A: No.

  • Q: Are Mechanical/Expandable broadheads legal for the Self-Guided Archery      Elk hunts?

     A: No.

  • Q: Are maps available for the areas open to Self-Guided Elk hunting?

     A: Yes but on a limited basis and the White Mountain Apache Tribe and                    Tribal Game & Fish Dept. do not guarantee their availability or accuracy.              There are many different mapping software packages available

         to the public with maps of the reservation.

  • Q: I am a member of a different, federally recognized Indian Tribe; do I                qualify for any discount(s)?

     A: No.


Trophy & Guided Hunts


  •  Q: How do I book a Trophy Elk hunt?

      A: Current Trophy Elk clients have the first right of refusal on retuning for                each subsequent season. Any openings are filled off of the Trophy Elk                  hunt waiting list.

  •  Q: How do I get on the Trophy Elk hunt waiting list?

      A: The Trophy Elk hunt waiting list is closed until further notice.

  •  Q: What other options do I have if I want to hunt Trophy Elk on the Fort               Apache Indian Reservation?

  •  A: The Tribal Game & Fish Dept. offers two (2) special Trophy Elk, Chairman’s        Auction tags each year at various hunting and outdoor related                          conventions. Contact the WMAT G&F Dept for more details.

  • Q: How do I book a Pronghorn Antelope or Bighorn Sheep hunt?

     A: These hunts are booked on a first-come-first-served basis.

  • Q: How do I book a Spring Turkey hunt?

     A: Current Spring Turkey clients have the first right of refusal on retuning for          each subsequent season. Any openings will be filled after January 1st of              the following year.




         Wildlife Biologist

(928) 338-4385 X 224

Whiteriver Office



          Acting Director

(928) 338-4385 X 228

Whiteriver Office









bottom of page